horizon blue set

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
CarolD

horizon blue set

Post by CarolD »

Do the blue 024 and the blue 080 truly belong to the horizon blue set? I looked on the cmog site and they were not included. I dont recall seeing them on advertisements but im not sure.

TIA everyone!
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: horizon blue set

Post by Doug D. »

If we are to believe the defunct CC website, the blue 024 is the same shade as HB. It looks like it to me. The 080 in your photo atop the 024 looks more like turquoise, at least it does there. I guess we would need to determine what the lifespan was on color opalware 080s, and if it ended before 1969, in order to at least make an educated guess.

Or another way to look at it would be to note the inclusion of a lime 080 in the set, knowing that lime didn't make it much past 1956.
CarolD

Post by CarolD »

thank you so much! that makes perfect sense. While the 080 most definitely does not match the regular blue of HB, im fairly confident it does match the square baker. however, from your deductions with the lime green, this is most probably a coincidence. Thanks again. I really appreciate your input!
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

It's an interesting set. I had always understood the gray 080 to be Canadian. If the backstamps are USA, that still would not preclude Canadian production/distribution. The slogan in French makes me wonder if that has something to do with Canada, or if it was just something popular marketing-wise at the time. But I'm thinking the price card having a US dollar sign tends toward it being a US product.

Edit: I note Canadian ads of the 50s and 60s use the $ so...

Looking at old ads, I also note the colors appear to be the same as the new dinnerware in 1954.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

So, now we know the set is Canadian. Here is a 1956 Canadian Pyrex Ad showing it:

http://exhibitdb.cmog.org/opacimages/Im ... 142815.pdf

You can see the boxes on the bottom shelf.