Newbie help - turquoise dinnerware

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
PamCarson

Newbie help - turquoise dinnerware

Post by PamCarson »

Greetings all!

Forgive my ignorance as I am learning.

I inherited several boxes of my grandmothers things and in it were random pieces of the turquoise dinnerware. I instantly loved the color and have recently began buying a few pieces here and there to add to my “collection”. While I see that the color is essentially the same (with the exception of wear, etc) the backstamps vary from gold and black printed to the raised glass marking. Would anyone happen to know if this was a variation by year of production or an area of manufacturing? I can of course find lots of internet info on the changes in the backstamp through the years but not specifically relating to the dinnerware pieces.

Also, some of my saucers have raised bottoms while others are “inset”. (Again forgive my lack of the correct terminology)

Thanks so much!!
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Newbie help - turquoise dinnerware

Post by Doug D. »

Tableware is a bit out of my Pyrex wheelhouse. I've sent a PM to a Pyrex tableware collector here who might be able to help.
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Good Morning Doug & Pam,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but it has taken me a bit to get signed in again, it has been a while since I've visited.

There are two types of Pyrex Tableware, Household and Commercial (restaurant ware). The Commercial Tableware is my area of expertise.

Pam photos would be most helpful.

The most common difference between the two Tableware are the back stamps. The household tableware is generally stamped in gold or black, while the Commercial Tableware is generally pressed into the glass (embossed). I have seen a very few pieces of household tableware with the pressed in mark (in the Pyrex groups on Facebook). The household tableware comes with and without the the gold trim. I've never seen the Commercial Tableware with the gold trim, but it can have gold decoration on some of the customized patterns (Hilton Hotels patterns often used the gold decoration). Some of the colors are very similar. Some of the shapes/sizes are also the same. One of the Pyrex reference books might be helpful. I'd recommend the ones by Barbara Mauzy or Michael Barber. I've worked with both. Some the Facebook Pyrex groups might also be helpful resources.

I hope this is helpful information!
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Also, as for dating; the household tableware was available during the 1950's and 1960's. The Commercial Tableware was introduced in 1953 and produced until 1978, and existing stock was offered into the 1980's.
PamCarson

Post by PamCarson »

Thank you Doug and Jeff! Jeff, I sent you a direct message. Hope that’s ok.

Thanks again!!
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Pam,

I've tried to answer your questions in a PM.