Flamingo Pink Nesting Bowls

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
Steven G

Flamingo Pink Nesting Bowls

Post by Steven G »

Hi I'm new to the Pyrex world and just had a bad experience buying a vintage primary nesting set on Etsy. Could someone tell me what they thing of this set. It seems kind of expensive but not sure how "rare" the set is.

Thanks!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/662972941/ ... ch_click=1
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Flamingo Pink Nesting Bowls

Post by Doug D. »

Pyrex bowls and dishes produced in the pink color are often mistakenly called flamingo pink. Flamingo Pyrex is a much bolder fuchsia, however, and no nesting bowls were produced in Flamingo. In perfect condition, that asking price for a pink 400 set would not be out of line in today's market. One would hope to, and could very well find them for half that, though.The problem with that listing, however, is that all the bowls are displayed upside down, which prevents light from passing through and revealing scratches/paint loss. Most collectors, in the absence of a hands-on inspection, would want to see a "backlight test" to be able to assess damage to the finish before paying top dollar.
Steven G

Post by Steven G »

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your reply. I actually messaged the seller and asked her to take pics of the bowls being held up to the light. If they look good you think that is an average price to ask for them then?

Steven
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

Pink was produced 1957-1963. That's one of the longer periods for a Pyrex pattern/color, but the 4 bowl set in pink was offered only the first couple of those years, so that's where the "rare" part comes from. My impression of Etsy in general is that prices always tend to be higher than what I would say if someone asked my opinion of a "retail" value, like what one would expect in an antique store. A $200 offer wouldn't be unreasonable, IMO.
Steven G

Post by Steven G »

wow your'e so knowledgeable! when the seller sends me the pics I'll post them and see what you think if that's OK?

Steven