Vintage Charm, Pyrex or Not?

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
Doug D.
Site Admin

Vintage Charm, Pyrex or Not?

Post by Doug D. »

Something new? Opal glass(?). Patterns "inspired by" vintage Pyrex. But stops short of actually being called "Pyrex".

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/bakeware-mix-prep/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Already showing up on eBay for more than World Kitchen pricing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=py ... m&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonnie Scott

Re: Vintage Charm Pyrex or Not?

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I scrolled through some of the pictures on ebay and they don't appear to be much thicker than a Corelle plate. I don't imagine those bowls will last long enough to ever become vintage unless they stay NIB. The "Birds of a feather" pattern is kind of cute. It seems to be more inspired by the chalkboard paint fad than the vintage friendship pattern.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

I participated in a World Kitchen focus group made up of the members of the collector panel. It was about Vintage Charm. We got a hands-on look at it, and were asked for opinions on design, pricing, etc. You are right, it is not as thick as classic opal ware, and looks and feels a bit more like Vitrelle (what Corelle is made of). Its exact composition was not discussed. Some pattern designs we liked and others we were confused as to what the designers were going for. We agreed the Butterfly Gold inspired pattern came the closest to that goal. One preferred the Terra/Rainbow Stripe inspired ones most. We all expressed concern the matte finish decoration would unnecessarily show casual wear a glossy finish would have not. The 360° application of the decoration on most also left a distracting overlap of about 1/16" we felt gave an impression of substandard quality. I think we also agreed the classic opal ware had a certain heft to it lacking in this product.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Did you have any idea that two weeks after posting this question that you would be consulting on the production of these?
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

I knew about participating in A focus group by World Kitchen, LLC, but not about what. Being that the product is already on the market, what effect our input will have (if any) I don't know. But we were brutally honest in most respects, and they appreciated our comments. There is alternate packaging that was developed, in the form of a lidded hat box with graphics on the outside that I haven't seen online anywhere yet.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I'm still seeing this Vintage inspired on ebay for crazy prices. I went to Target today to get some shop towels to wrap up my real Vintage for transport and saw these. It's not my bag but they are cheap.
http://i.imgur.com/DHBdxFk.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

When we were asked what we thought about pricing, I think we all said what we had seen it priced at in online stores (not eBay) seemed high. They also asked us what we thought it should sell for. If those prices are per bowl, it's less than what any of us said.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I like the dishes on the top shelf and it's a bonus that those lids fit the vintage Pyrex also. :D
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Charm, Pyrex or Not?

Post by Doug D. »

I was thinking I could pick up a set of the (inspired by) Dots, but same here, no small bowl. And not as small prices.
Bonnie Scott

Re: Vintage Charm, Pyrex or Not?

Post by Bonnie Scott »

One of our friends drove to every Walmart in town looking for these with no luck. I would like a set but I guess they are hiding somewhere.
http://www.pyrexware.com/#opi2457888250