Rakow Research Library - OMG!

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
Doug D.
Site Admin

Rakow Research Library - OMG!

Post by Doug D. »

Had the opportunity at seminar to visit and tour the archives of the Rakow Research Library at the Corning Museum Of Glass. Absolutely mind-boggling the amount of material contained therein.

There were more than a few revelations to be had by the other collectors on the panel and me in a very short time there. Here's the one (I think) I made.

Pyrex: The Unauthorized Collector's Guide book maintains the Friendship pattern was originally called "Friendship & Daisy" but was quickly changed to avoid confusion with "Daisy". I've never seen that reference repeated in literature or by any other trustworthy online source. So, I'm thinking the author saw this single catalog page:

But had they seen the entire catalog:

Clearly, the two names aren't meant to refer to a single pattern collection. This was a 1973 catalog, BTW. Two 1972 catalogs just call it "Friendship", so it's curious as to why the assertion made it into the book. And, if you think about it, it makes little sense for a new pattern in 1972 to have been called that when Daisy had been around since 1968.
Bonnie Scott

Re: Rakow Research Library - OMG!

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I don't understand. Is this a picture of the catalog you took while at the library or did you access this online? Is all this information available to the public?
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Rakow Research Library - OMG!

Post by Doug D. »

The public can go to the Rakow library for research just like a regular public or university library. Materials found in the digital card catalog can be requested to be brought out from the stacks for examination. Some are only available on microfilm. Materials from the secured archive can also be requested, but I would think likely not just for casual visitor perusal. Digitized versions are accessible online, but not of everything. More is being added as time and resources allow. Many can be viewed online through the Pyrex Potluck website research room page: http://pyrex.cmog.org/research-room" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Not all entries have had their content digitized, so you just have to dig around and see what there currently is to see.