Pyrex Commercial Tableware (restaurant ware)

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
Jeff Tevyaw

Pyrex Commercial Tableware (restaurant ware)

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

The roots of Pyrex Commercial Tableware are in the MacBeth-Evans tableware. The Corning Glassworks purchased MacBeth-Evans in the mid 1930's. They had the right pressing equipment for producing tableware and formula for opal glassware. During World War II Corning produded a line of military tableware for the armed forces, as part of the war effort. In 1953 Corning introduced the Commercial Tableware line. Early back stamps included Corning. Pyrex, glass blower. and Double Tough (there was already an existing Touble Tough tumber line since the 1930's). New back stamps included Decor and Pyrex Commercial Tableware by Corning. The first pattern offered was Green Band, later renamed Emerald Band; shortly followed by Maroon Band, later renamed Ruby Band. More patterns and shapes sizes continued until production ended in 1978 (existing stock continued to be offered for a few years). Model numbers are typically 700s, 300's and 100 and 101. Much of this Tableware is is still in use because of its durability. It is now starting to be noticed by collectors. Pyrex authors Barbara Mauzy and Michael Barber have recently added the restaurant ware to their books.
Jeff Tevyaw

Favorites

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

My favorite pattern is Sapphire, later renamed Aegean, from the Designer's Series introduced in 1969. I have about 110 pieces that I use as everyday dishes. My other favorites include Green/Emerald Band and Bluegrass. I have large services for 75 people in both patterns. About 1100 pieces in Bluegrass and 900 pieces in Green/Emerald Band.
Bonnie Scott

Re: Pyrex Commercial Tableware (restaurant ware)

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I have a four place setting of the ruby band. I have dinner plates, bowls and cups and saucers. The bands are getting faded and cloudy but they are still good sturdy dishes. I know a guy downtown who has a large stack of the turquoise colored dinner plates in good condition, they are very pretty. Doug was lucky enough to find some of the horn blower cups and I was envious of that because of the history of the logo. I am not familiar with double tough, I will have to research that a bit more. I checked the logo on my daily user plates and they are fireking. :oops: I enjoy hearing about your collection.
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Bonnie,

I believe the Double Tough back stamp was an effort to tie in with the existing Double Tough tumbler customers.

There are tableware collectors who collect by back stamp (i'm not one of them).

Fred Miller has my binder of documents, right now, for Megan McGrady's next book which is going to include the Commercial Tableware.

When you speak of the turqoise plates, do you mean the bands or the leaf pattern (Bluegrass)?
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Also, I forgot to mention that one of my favorite customized patterns is the Bradford House pattern from W.T. Grants department Store chain.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I have seen those Bradford house plates, they are very nice. The stack of plates I was talking about is the blue leaf pattern, I think the guy has at least 20 of them. I just saw a platter on etsy with that double tough logo now I have to find this tumbler that you mentioned. My daughter is really only interested in the patterned cookware and mixing bowls so it is kind of nice to have someone to talk to who also likes the dishware.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

There was a small dealer fair right after the seminar for attendees only. There was a stack of the plates like the ones in the 9/23/15 entry here: http://www.pyrexpassion.com/whats-new.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on one of the tables. I should have taken a photo to be sure it was the same, but did not. Too busy shopping for someone else. :roll:
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Doug, I clicked on your link and got distracted by all the military Pyrex. That Army medical dish is now on my wish list.
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Interesting link to Michael Barber's site.

A number of those military pieces are mine. The U S Navy Submarine Warfareand the Army Medical Dept. are definately mine. I also have two patterns from the Strategic Air Command, and Pacific Air Forces. The military tableware is one of the few areas that I'm still interested in adding to.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

The only thing I could find like them is this Dept of Agriculture plate. The seller is pretty proud of that plate judging from the price. It is even chipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corning-Pyrex-C ... SwpDdVU2eg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;