Unusual Friendship

General Pyrex Topics and Q&A
Doug D.
Site Admin

Unusual Friendship

Post by Doug D. »

Probably more to do with a new pattern and lead time, but here's a shot of Friendship from an early 1972 catalog. What's wrong with this picture?
friendship.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonnie Scott

Re: Unusual Friendship

Post by Bonnie Scott »

The promotional casserole is missing the plate?
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

The photo is Friendship, not Penn Dutch.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Isn't Penn Dutch the promotional "go with" for Friendship?
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

It preceded Friendship, but the 475 for Friendship is not the same. The photo uses a PD dish as a Friendship. The promo also had the more densely decorated opal lid. This same mismatch is in the display at the Rakow library Pyrex exhibit.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

The Friendship pattern and the Penn Dutch pattern are both obviously inspired by the Pennsylvania Dutch hex sign for Friendship so I think of them all as one set.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

If 1972 was the year they switched to the Opal lid wouldn't it make sense that an early 1972 picture would still show the clear lid?
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

The change was apparently not exactly coincidental with the new year. Penn Dutch's lid was decorated opal on a Cinderella round casserole before Friendship debuted with its decorated clear lids on them. But the clear lids must not have been around for very long; you don't see that many with them. The June 1972 catalog shows them with opal lids. And an apparently not PD 475 dish.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Unusual Friendship!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-PY ... 1355278983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

It looks suspicious to me. There is a lot of variation in the color and I think I might be seeing brush strokes?