Found an old one, I think

Share Your Pyrex Finds & Displays
Fago F

Found an old one, I think

Post by Fago F »

New poster here. I just found this old pie plate at our local dump and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it. It's a clear glass 9-inch plate, with an incised design in the underside and what I think is a very old logo pressed into the glass. The name Pyrex is in a serif font, and there is an S above it and the CG logo below.

There are some imperfections in the glass - a few tiny bubbles and a wrinkle - which I have never noticed in Pyrex before. There's a number 209 pressed into the rim of the plate. It's much heavier than the usual pie plate. I've attached photos of the full plate and a closeup of the logo.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Found an old one, I think

Post by Doug D. »

I'm thinking this started out as a plain 209 rimmed pie plate and was engraved by a third party. The design is reminiscent of the factory standard "Fern" design but is not like any shown in the old engraved ware catalogs I have.

See also: http://www.pyrexcollector.com/catalogs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fago F

Post by Fago F »

You're right - the design looks similar to the fern pattern. But the engraving is very skilled - perfectly centred on the plate and quite evenly done. I have to been able to find anything like it anywhere online. Is it possible to contact Pyrex directly to get more information?
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

I think it was made by Pyrex to be sold by another company like my Octagon Pyrex. The way it is only carved on the bottom makes me think it may have sat in a fancy metal holder. I'm just guessing of course, I can't be sure.