First piece with cradle

Share Your Pyrex Finds & Displays
MDFraley

First piece with cradle

Post by MDFraley »

This was my first truly purchase of Pyrex with the cradle in tack. Know it's not much to brag about but I was happy to find something that looked important enough to purchase.
http://imgur.com/a/zDuk9
Bonnie Scott

Re: First piece with cradle

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Welcome to the forum Michael, that cradle is a treasure. The fact that it still has the flame guard makes me like it even more. Doug has more luck finding cradles than I do, except for UFO cradles.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

The same cradle was supplied with the 1959 Cinderella Divided Casserole aka Constellation promo.
MDFraley

Post by MDFraley »

Doug D. wrote:The same cradle was supplied with the 1959 Cinderella Divided Casserole aka Constellation promo.
You would think I should know how to clean the cradle on this piece with all the cast iron I've cleaned but I'm not so sure with this piece. I assume it's a brass electro plating used for the original finish but there are a few places showing some surface rust and I don't want to ruin it using a wrong technique. In your opinion what would be the proper way to remove the rust without damaging the finish?
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

These usually have to be just left as found. The main money was never in the accessory, it was in the decoration on the dish. Any measures will just remove the thin remaining probably lacquer finish. If there's rust, I might try rubbing with one of those impregnated polish cloths.
MDFraley

Post by MDFraley »

Thanks Doug. I was thinking about using the Autosol that I've used on polishing cast aluminum with good success. Second thoughts may be as you suggested and try not create an additional problem.