Don't Show, Just Tell

Share Your Pyrex Finds & Displays
Doug D.
Site Admin

Don't Show, Just Tell

Post by Doug D. »

I thought it would be interesting to know how new forum members became Pyrex collectors or avid users, and came up with a short list of questions. Feel free to reply to this thread with your own answers (but no photos):

1. What is the first Pyrex ware of which you recall being aware?

2. What is the first piece of vintage Pyrex ware you actually owned?

3. Do you primarily acquire Pyrex more as a collector, a user, or both?

4. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting Pyrex?

5. Is there a pattern or type of dish you just cannot resist adding more of to your collection?

6. If you were forced to give up your Pyrex collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?

7. Knowing it's hard to choose only one, name up to three items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".

1. My grandmother's pink 403 bowl she used frequently, or the 2.5qt. yellow hostess casseroles my mother always used.
2. A yellow 404 mixing bowl, received as a a gift from family friends, which belonged to their late mother.
3. Both, but more collector.
4. A FlameGlo 402 in perfect condition.
5. When found, I find it hard to pass up 500 series refrigerator pieces if in EX condition.
6. The first yellow 404 for sentimental reasons.
7. UFO casserole with candle warmer, Penn Dutch 475 with underplate, or one of the rare chip n' dips, all in EX condition. Although I have recently learned my grandmother's pink bowls are still in possession of a family member.
Bonnie Scott

Re: Don't Show, Just Tell

Post by Bonnie Scott »

1. What is the first Pyrex ware of which you recall being aware?

When I was a child my mother had the Pyrex Flameware. She thought it was really cool when she first got it but I think she lost interest in it soon afterwards because I don't recall it staying around long.

2. What is the first piece of vintage Pyrex ware you actually owned?

I had a clear small single serving casserole with tiny handles for ever. It was perfect for reheating a single serving in the microwave. It lasted through raising three children and I used it until it was hazy from age. I recall feeling very sad when one of the handles got a big chip in it. :-(

3. Do you primarily acquire Pyrex more as a collector, a user, or both?

At this point I only acquire it as a collector. I do use it but I don't really need any more for cooking. :-)

4. What is the first piece you acquired with an eye toward collecting Pyrex?

I started collecting because of my daughter Jessica, she caught the bug and gave it to me. If I recall correctly I found her a Woodland pattern set.

5. Is there a pattern or type of dish you just cannot resist adding more of to your collection?

This is a hard question because I like so many patterns and every time I find something new I think I need it. I have a soft spot for the very oldest pieces of Pyrex, I would like to have a set of the engraved tulips with the knob lids.

6. If you were forced to give up your Pyrex collection except for one piece, what would that piece be?

It would be the biggest, heaviest piece I have, probably the large oval roaster. I would keep that one and then I would use it to conk the person on the head who is trying to take away my Pyrex. :-)

7. Knowing it's hard to choose only one, name up to three items, rare or not, on your "holy grail" or "bucket list".

I would love to find the Griswold Pyrex lid with the old style knob like I saw on ebay once, "Lucky in Love" so I can fund my hoarding and I need the lid and casserole for my UFO.