Greetings from Pittsburgh!

New Members Say Hello and Tell Us What Brought You Here
Terri W.

Greetings from Pittsburgh!

Post by Terri W. »

Hello all!

I joined because I have inherited a TON of kitchen stuff from my grandmother, and my absolute favorite piece is a 10 inch Pyrex Pie Plate :) It's truly the perfect pie dish and I have been trying to find duplicates of it but have run into several issues and questions I can't quite seem to find answers for.

The stamp on my dish is round and looks like the 1950s stamp on the listing here. It reads 229 10 inch and has a K-24 underneath that.

The first issue I keep running into is eBay sellers listing plates as 10 inch when they really read 9.5 inch, then trying to tell me that a 10 inch plate doesn't exist (even though I already own one and am pretty sure I can tell the difference between a 10 and a 9.5)

Second, I've found dished that read 229 and 10 inch, but the K number is different (I've seen K-9 and K-22). I don't know what that means, and don't want to risk buying to plate if it won't be the same size as my existing dish.

Any help guys??! My goal is to own 4 identical pie plates (I bake a lot)
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Pittsburgh!

Post by Doug D. »

The 229 Flavor Saver pie plate is described as a 10" "outside dimension" in the 1950 catalog. The 1953 says 9-1/2" "inside dimensions". The 1956, 1957, and 1958 say 10" "inside dimension", which I doubt. The 1960-1968 say "size" 10". The 1970-1982 all say 9-1/2" without stating inside or outside. It doesn't seem logical for them to have shrunk it, so I don't believe a change was made to its physical size, but the original label on the 1990 75th anniversary plate says 9-1/2". It is marked 229-A, which I take to signify the anniversary backstamp. Bonnie's daughter has it and perhaps she could get a measurement on it. K-9 and K-22 are merely mold numbers, and do not signify date or revision. When Corning actually did change a physical size or shape but retained the model number, it would usually be appended with a "-N". They have also been known to change a capacity marking without a change to the physical piece.

Best I can say is, to be absolutely sure, ask a seller to actually measure the plate for you. I will take a look at the couple I have and let you know.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Pittsburgh!

Post by Doug D. »

Mine is marked like this:
Click to enlarge. The diameter measurements are, nominally, 10" OD, 9-1/2" ID, top of the rim. So, I guess it makes a 9-1/2" pie.