Hello

New Members Say Hello and Tell Us What Brought You Here
Jeff Tevyaw

Hello

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

My name is Jeff Tevyaw, I'm in Lakeland, Florida. My area of Pyrex expertise is Pyrex Commercial Tableware. I have about 3500 pieces. I've collected since I was a teenager in the 1970's, I expanded to household Pyrex in the 1990's. My collection of Tableware includes two large sets for 75 people, one in Bluegrass (about 1100 pieces) and a second in Green/Emerald Band (about 900 pieces). I have something in every documented stock pattern and several customized patterns. I lack only one shape/size the #101 saucer. I have done research at the Corning, Inc. Archives twice in 2001 and in 2008. I've worked with Pyrex authors Barbara Mauzy and Michael Barber, to add information about the Tableware to thier books. I'm presently working with Megan McGrady and Fred Miller on their second rare and hard to find Pyrex book, which will include the Commercial Tableware.
Bonnie Scott

Re: Hello

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Welcome Jeff, I hope you will share some pictures with us. I have a couple of sets of the old thick pyrex dishes. I believe the ones I use everyday used to be restaurant plates.
Doug D.
Site Admin

Post by Doug D. »

Meg, Stan Savellis, Allison Kapner, and I had a few hours to plunder at Rakow during seminar last week. An amazing resource. Fred Miller was supposed to be on our panel as well, but couldn't make it.
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Doug,
I'm familiar with Meg and Allison from facebook. I've visited Fred at his house (it is full of Pyrex). I have a 5 inch binder full of Commercial Tableware documents from the Archives. (Frem my 2008 trip to the Archives with Barbara Mauzy,) Right now Fred has it for Meg's next book. I also lent it to Michael Barber, when he was not able to get in to the Archives, since Kris Gable has retired. He found only about have of the documents at the CMOG library.

Are you familiar with Barbara Mauzy's book PYREX The Unauthorized Collector's Guide (fifth edition)? Many of the photos in her newly added restaurant ware chapter are from my collection. I also have a few photos in Michael Barber's PYREX Passion II.

I not great with photos and have not figured out how to post there here yet. A couple of my most prized rare pieces are a saleman's sample plate from the late 1950's and a Double Tough salemans mug from the 1950's. Both have been posted on facebook.
Bonnie Scott

Post by Bonnie Scott »

Jeff, I have never even heard of salesman sample Pyrex. How big are they? I googled pictures but I can't really tell how big they are.
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

Good Evening Bonnie,

The salesman's sample plate is a #712 9 3/8 inch dinner plate, with the older glass blower back stamp. It has six patterns from the late 1950's: Green/Emerald Band, Maroon/Ruby Band, and from the Sprayed Borders line Aqua, Coral, Gray, and Autumn. We kow of atleast six of these plates. I also have an advertising document from the same time frame that seems to match the plate.
Jeff Tevyaw

Post by Jeff Tevyaw »

I forgot to mention that these sample plates are stamped annealed.